Description










hamiltoncommunityblog@gmail.com



Thursday, January 20, 2011

City of Hamilton Fire Fighters to get 9% wage increase.

A deal to raise the firefighter wages 9% over the next 3 years is causing a stir among city councilors, the community and city unions. The deal to raise wages for 3 consecutive years starts this year and caps off the 9% in 2012. With taxes continuously increasing and other city unions wanting their piece of the pie, this could set a precedent of what is expected from other emergency service occupations. If I was a paramedic or police officer, I would expect nothing less what the fire fighters got. This is very puzzling to me, I wrote the fire fighter test this past year. There were around 8 spots available for the city and 4000 showed up for testing, each paying 100 dollars to take the test by Gledhill-Shaw . This was one of the biggest rip off scams I have ever been apart off. I understand if the firefighter job is something that not many want to do, hence we have to increase the wages to keep them happy, but 4000 people PAID money to write a test in hopes of reaching the 85% mark. If they’re not happy with their wages, step aside there’s thousands of guys/girls out there who will do it for the current wage and less.  I met people as far as Vancouver, Ottawa, South Carolina who flew in to PAY money to write a test to be considered. I’m all for getting paid, but the latest increase is just horrible for the tax payer.

No comments:

Post a Comment